Welcome to Career Development
Leicester Grammar School has a clear commitment to providing Career Education Information Advice and Guidance (CEIAG) to all its students from Year 7 onwards. LGS holds the Platinum Career Mark Quality Award for its provision of CEIAG.
Mrs Clare Scott, Careers Leader
Employers/HE and other Providers
- If you are an employer or HE/FE provider wanting to send us information regarding apprenticeship, job or course opportunities for us to share with our pupils, please feel welcome to contact Mrs Clare Scott, the Careers Leader, at email@example.com
- Any hard copy information that you send can be held in the main Careers Library in the School
- A bi-annual Careers Fair is held, as well as various careers related talks for pupils and parents during the year. If you’d like to support any of these events as a speaker, please contact us on the email address above; we would be very pleased to hear from you
The information below is for Parents and Students:
Each student through their time at school has access to:
- Independent and impartial guidance
- Help centred around individual needs
- Fully qualified Career Guidance Practitioners and advice from the School Pastoral Team. Booking guidance interviews can be done by emailing the Careers Leader at firstname.lastname@example.org
- A structured, broad, balanced CEIAG programme in Years 7-13 that is integrated into the PSD/General Studies programme within the school. This includes work-related learning modules such as the Labour Market
- Information to allow the student to make informed choices and decisions through the Cufflin Library and access to career information websites
Where do I find out what is on offer?
- CEIAG is introduced through the PSD programme whereby students are made fully aware of what is offer
- Careers events including those associated with applying to Higher Education are published in the student homework diaries
- For further information, please contact our Careers Leader, Mrs Clare Scott at email@example.com
Changes and Choices: Post-18 Options – Apprenticeships and University
With university virtual presentations including ‘Life at University’ and ‘A Parents Guide to HE’, as well as a talk from Pearson College, London regarding Higher and Degree Apprenticeships
9th March 2021
Changes and Choices: The World of Work: Case studies from Engineering, Computer Science and Construction Management
With OL virtual presentations from companies including Balfour Beatty and Wilmott Dixon
22nd March 2021
Changes and Choices: The World of Work - Case Studies from Finance, Business and Economics
With OL virtual presentations from companies including HSBC, Mphasis and Kantar
17th March 2021
Changes and Choices: Medicine and Allied Professionals
With speakers from emergency and non emergency medicine, dentistry, radiography, physiotherapy and midwifery (TBC); a Q&A session and Admission talk.
Tuesday 20th April 6.00pm-8.00pm
At previous Medicine & Health Professionals events, we were delighted to have stalls covering the following medical careers:
- Medicine including subspecialties in: Cardiology, Oncology, Endocrinology, Ophthalmology and General Practice
Year 10 Work-related learning: Three days of inspirational sessions for our Year 10 students in June.
Year 11 career interviews: based on the Morrisby profile take place in September and October in the Advent Term.
Accessing the Careers Service:
Year 12 and 13:
Half-hour 1-1 guidance meetings are available on Tuesdays/Wednesdays with the Careers Leader, Mrs Clare Scott. You should book a meeting to take place during one of your study periods. These will be held in the Careers Office, off the Library.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to arrange.
Years 7 – 11:
Pupils have access to careers support with Mrs Clare Scott, Careers Leader, Monday - Thursday at the following times:
- 11.25-11.45am - Breaktime Clinic for quickfire questions (just turn up!)
- 12.55-1.55pm - Lunchtime Clinic for quickfire questions (just turn up!) OR students can book a 1-1 half-hour guidance meeting
All Careers Clinics will be based in the Careers section of the Library.
1-1 half-hour guidance meetings will be held in the Careers Office - please email me at email@example.com to book.
- If you wish a parent to be involved in your careers meeting, this can be arranged virtually, via Teams
- If you are having to study from home for any reason, please let me know, as again virtual Teams meetings are possible
Year 12 (LVI) Career Development Skills (May, during a Friday Periods 5 & 6): Developing networking skills
- 16th April- Nottingham Uni – Choices / Why go to uni
- 23rd April - Nottingham Uni - Transition to university / Budgeting/ Finance
- 30th April - Ambassadors from Nottingham - Life at university
- 7th May - Personal statements - Coventry Uni
- 14th May - Leicester University - The UCAS process
- 21st May - Leicester University - Ambassadors
- 28th May - In house session - The UCAS process at LGS
- 4th June - School exam week
- 11th June - In house - Personal Statements
- 18th June - In house - Personal Statements
- 25th June - Conclusions
- 2nd July - Activities Week
2020 Year 13 Interview Preparation took place in November 2020. A similar schedule will be repeated for 2021.
- For University Mock Interviews, please fill in an interview referral form, which can be found on Sharepoint under Careers
- For MMIs, please contact Dr Fulton
Degree/Higher/Advanced Apprenticeship/Employment Preparation
- Introductory session to be delivered in the Lent Term 2021 – Date TBC
- Apprenticeship/CV/Cover Letter writing workshop to be delivered in Lent Term 2021 Date TBC
Please contact Mrs Clare Scott for further details
The Careers Fair is a bi-annual event. Details of the 2021 Fair will follow.
2019 Careers Convention Exhibitors
Information for LGS Trust Staff:
Please contact Mrs Clare Scott for details of CPD opportunities in the Careers area of work