Sixth Form Opportunities
Sixth Form at LGS means studying the subjects you love in-depth, with the time to explore them fully, and with guidance from expert teachers who share your passion. But it also involves a great deal more than this: the chance to take an active leadership role in the school, to develop your understanding beyond the A level curriculum, to serve the community and undertake charitable activities, and to prepare yourself for life beyond LGS.
- Enhancement and enrichment opportunities: We encourage all students to undertake an Extended Project Qualification (EPQ) and we build dedicated lesson time with expert teachers into the timetable to support this. Our well-established Friday morning lecture series consists of a stimulating and varied programme of guest speakers, delivering talks on subjects such as the work of Amnesty International, Pain and Retail Crime. And from September 2020 we will also offer a varied programme of enrichment and enhancement courses taught as part of the normal Sixth Form timetable, with students able to choose from a range of courses, including practical life skills, courses that add breadth and variety to their studies, and extension courses that deepen their knowledge beyond A level.
- Co-curricular activities: Existing LGS students will know about the wide range of co-curricular activities on offer in the school. Whether your interests lie in first-class music, competitive sport, or drama, there is a multitude of opportunities to develop new skills. In addition, there are fresh activities available exclusively to Sixth Form students, including the Student Support Group, Gold Duke of Edinburgh and Young Enterprise, as well as new sports taught only to Sixth Form students.
- Leadership opportunities: Sixth Formers are the natural leaders within the school and ‘set the tone’ at the top of the school. Whether as a prefect or senior prefect, house captain, mentor, or in a senior role in sport, music or drama, there is a wide range of opportunities for students to develop the leadership and people skills that will be so valuable to them in future years.
- Service and charity: We are proud that our students embrace their responsibilities and that so many of them want to undertake community service and support charities. Opportunities in this area include the Charity Committee and Student Support Group, as well as the chance to undertake community service as part of the school timetable.
- Preparation for life beyond LGS: We aim to prepare students for life after Sixth Form, whatever their aspirations. You will be thoroughly prepared for university applications, to ensure you have the best chance of accessing competitive universities, and you will learn about other pathways, such as higher apprenticeships. You will be offered an extensive careers programme to give you an insight into the world of work, as well as guiding you in the practicalities of CV preparation and interview technique. You may require additional support for applications to the most competitive courses at Oxford or Cambridge or to study medicine or veterinary science. Regardless of your direction, you will leave LGS well-prepared for your next steps.